Bread has been a staple in cultures around the world for centuries, nourishing both body and soul. As we gather to celebrate World Bread Day, there’s no better way to pay homage to this culinary treasure than by baking a loaf of warm, fragrant Pumpkin Bread. This recipe not only embraces the spirit of bread-making but also adds a delightful autumn twist, infusing your home with the cozy scents of pumpkin and spices.
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat and Prep: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. These aromatic spices will infuse the bread with cozy flavors.
- Mix Wet Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, beat together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vegetable oil until well combined. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Incorporate Pumpkin Goodness: Stir in the canned pumpkin puree, water, and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth and uniform.
- Combine Dry and Wet Mixtures: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Be cautious not to overmix, as this can lead to a dense texture.
- Bake to Perfection: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool and Indulge: Allow the Pumpkin Bread to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, slice a piece and savor the comforting taste of homemade goodness.
Why Pumpkin Bread for World Bread Day?
- Autumnal Delight: Pumpkin Bread captures the essence of fall with its warm, inviting flavors. It’s a celebration of the season’s bounty and a treat that brings coziness to every bite.
- Bread-Making Tradition: World Bread Day honors the tradition of bread-making that spans cultures and centuries. By baking a loaf of Pumpkin Bread, you’re participating in a global celebration of this time-honored culinary craft.
- Heartfelt Sharing: Bread has historically been a symbol of sharing and community. As you bake Pumpkin Bread, you’re continuing the tradition of sharing homemade nourishment with loved ones.
- Nostalgic Aromas: The fragrant blend of pumpkin and spices fills your home with an aroma that triggers memories of family gatherings, cozy evenings, and cherished moments.
Conclusion: A Slice of Togetherness
On this World Bread Day, as you knead, mix, and bake your Pumpkin Bread, you’re not just making a delicious treat—you’re joining a worldwide community that recognizes the art of bread-making. With each slice, you’re not only indulging in the warm flavors of autumn but also savoring the essence of tradition, sharing, and the heartfelt joy that comes from creating something beautiful and nourishing. As you enjoy your Pumpkin Bread, take a moment to appreciate the beauty of bread—the simple pleasure that unites us all across cultures and continents.